1. About ETA
An ETA is an electronically stored authority for travel to Australia, and is accessible by Australian border agencies, airlines and travel agents. It's required that you obtain an ETA if you intend to travel to Australia. All non-citizens require a Visa or Electronic Travel Authority to enter Australia.
The great advantage of an ETA is that it is 100% electronic, which allows you to visit Australia without the need to apply through a departmental office for the traditional paper visa.
2. ETA Expiration
You can enter Australia as many times as you want for the duration of 12 months from the date your ETA is granted, or until the expiry date of your passport, whichever is earlier.
3. ETA Requirements
You can apply for an electronic Australian ETA visa online, if:
- ELIGIBLE COUNTRY: You are from an ETA eligible country.
- OUTSIDE AUSTRALIA: You are outside Australia at the time of applying.
- BUSINESS OR TOURISM: Your visit to Australia is either for tourism, visiting friends or relatives, or short-term business purposes. Business Purposes such as: Participating in conferences, trade fairs or seminars, as long as you are not being paid by the organisers for your participation; Making general business or employment enquiries; Contract research projects, agreements, review; Activities carried out as part of an official government-to-government visit.
- PASSPORT VALIDITY: Your passport must be valid for 6 months from the day you enter Australia.
- PERIOD OF STAY: You can stay in Australia for a maximum of 3 months (90 days).
- NO CRIMINAL CONVICTIONS: You must have had no major criminal convictions, in which you served more than 1 year in jail.
- NO TUBERCULOSIS: You must not have tuberculosis at the time of travel into, and within, Australia.
- NO WORK: You must not work while in Australia.
4. ETA Eligible Countries
Only citizens from the following countries are eligible to apply for an online ETA.
If you do not hold a passport from one of the eligible countries, you have to contact the Australian Mission related to the Visa department and apply for a Visitor Visa (subclass 600).